The Samsung Galaxy S4 is the hottest selling smartphone on the planet currently, having breached the 6 million mark in just two weeks. And with Google now having announced a stock Android powered Google Edition of the device, sales are likely to continue heading northwards. Also, the fact that an easy to apply root method is also available for the device, along with Clockworkmod recovery only makes getting the SGS4 sweeter.
For those who came in late, the SGS4 packs a mean set of specs, which underline its claim as one of the top high-end devices that money can buy. It packs a 4.99 inch FullHD Super AMOLED dislpay, Samsung’s own Exynos 5 octa-core CPU clocked at 1.6GHz for the A15 cores and 1.2GHz for the A7 cores (Snapdragon 600 CPU in the U.S variants), 2GB of RAM, a 13MP camera and Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on board.
And like all of its predecessors, the Galaxy S4 is sure to enjoy cult status amongst the developer community, which means you can be rest assured of tons of custom ROMs and kernels that will get dished out for this awesome device. One of the custom ROMs that is already doing the rounds, and purportedly provides outstanding battery life is Biochemical Touchwiz released by XDA member cabloomi. BT is essentially a debloated Touchwiz based ROM, which retains all of the key features and is fast, stable and extremely battery friendly, says the developer. Well, anything that is battery friendly is worth a try, eh? It also includes various mods for performance enhancements and speed. Here’s how you can flash Biochemical Touchwiz on your SGS4 GT-I9500. Make sure you have CWM installed on your device before you proceed. You can download it here and refer to this link for installation instructions
Note: This ROM is meant for the international version of the Galaxy S4 – Model number G-I9500 which comes with the Exynos 5 Octa processor. Do not attempt to flash it on the Snapdragon 600 based U.S variants of the SGS4.
How To Install Biochemical Touchwiz on the SGS4 GT-I9500
- Make a backup of all your personal data, contacts, APN settings etc, as installation of a Custom ROM will involve wiping your device and settings. Stuff on your internal SD card like your photos, videos and music wont be affected.
- Download the latest version of the Biochemical Touchwiz ROM from the original XDA thread.
- Now connect your Galaxy S4 to you PC and transfer the downloaded ROM zip file to the internal SDcard on the phone
- Disconnect the phone from PC and turn it off completely.
- Reboot the S4 into recovery. To do so, Press ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons at the same time and release them when you see the Samsung logo. Once in CWM use the volume buttons to navigate through options and the ‘power’ button to select them
- Now, if you didn’t make a Nandroid backup already, then it is always good practice to create one now by selecting the ‘Backup’ option and and then confirm Backup on the next screen.
- Next, Select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset Option, and then on the next screen, confirm that you want to wipe the data on your phone.
- Now select Wipe Cache partition, and confirm the cache wipe in the next screen.
- After the Cache wipe, select Advanced from the Main Menu, and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache on the next screen, Once dalvik wipe is complete, select Go Back to return to the Main menu
- Now that we have completed all the wiping, Select Mounts and Storage from the Main menu, and then select Format/System. This will format the system partition on your phone and make sure that the new ROM installation is clean.
- Now for the main ROM installation part. Tap Install zip from sd card on the Main Menu, this should bring up the contents of your internal SD card. Scroll down to the ROM zip file that you transferred to the phone in Step 3, and select it. Confirm installation on the next screen.
- CWM will start flashing the Biochemical Touchwiz ROM to your device. It may take a minute or two, so relax.
- Once the ROM installation is done, Select Go Back, and then select Reboot System now to boot into the new ROM.
Enjoy the stability and superb battery life of Biochemical Touchwiz on your Galaxy S4 GT-I950.