The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is the second generation 7-inch tablet from Samsung’s Tab family. It takes everything that was great about the original Galaxy Tab 7.0 and makes it better,plus comes in a slimmer and lighter form factor. Over the past couple of years, any Samsung product, with the prefix Galaxy attached to it, has contributed hugely to Samsung’s rise to numero uno status in the mobile device world. And not surprisingly, as they produce high-quality products which perform well in day to day usage, and are also well liked by the developer community for the ease with which development functions like bootloader unlocking and rooting can be performed. And that is evident from a long list of Custom ROMs which exist, and continue to pour our from the developer community, even for older devices such as the original Galaxy S and the Galaxy S2.
Coming back to the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, the developer community has been pretty active for this fella too. And here’s a nifty Custom ROM for it, called Codename Lungo. The ROM is based on Cyanogenmod 10/10.1 and is actually a stripped down version. The stripping down makes it an extremely lightweight due to zero bloatware in the package. Plus XDA Senior Member TimV_, who has released this ROM has also added various tweaks to it which provide outstanding battery life in addition to a more responsive user experience. Two things that we all look for in a Custom ROM. CNL is also pre-rooted, and is available for multiple devices like the Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Exhibit 2 4G, to name a few. CNL also includes themes support and Performance Control settings which allow you to overclock and underclock your processor settings to gain the best balance between performance and battery life. Here’s how you can install Codename Lungo on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Compatibility: This ROM is compatible only with the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100 & GT-P3110. Do not try to flash it on any other variant as the results may not be pleasant.
Disclaimer: Rooting and flashing a custom ROM will cancel out your warranty. We assume no responsibility for any damage caused to your device whilst flashing this firmware and you would be proceeding at your own risk.
Install Codename Lungo on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
- You need a rooted device with a custom recovery installed. You can refer to these links below:
Root the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Install CWM on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
- Download the latest version of the CNL ROM from HERE
- Transfer the downloaded ROM zip file to the Internal SD card on your Tab 2
- Power off your tablet, and reboot to ClockworkMod recovery. To do so, power it back on while holding down the Volume Down + Power buttons. When you see the Samsung logo, let go of the Power button but keep holding down the Volume Down button
- Now, if you didn’t make a Nandroid backup already, then it is always good practice to create one now by selecting the ‘Backup’ option and and then confirming Backup on the next screen.
- Next, Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and on the next screen, confirm that you want to wipe the data on your phone.
- Now select Wipe Cache partition, and confirm the cache wipe in the next screen.
- Next from the Main Menu select Advanced, and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache. Confirm the Dalvik wipe on the next screen
- Tap Install zip from sd card on the Main Menu, and then select Choose zip from SD card. This should bring up the contents of your internal SD card. Scroll down to the Codename Lungo ROM zip file that you transferred to the phone in Step 3, and select it. Confirm installation on the next screen.
- CWM will start flashing the ROM to your device, and you should be able to see the progress on your Tab 2 screen.
- After the ROM installation is complete, select Go Back, and then select Reboot System now to boot into your new ROM.
That’s it then! Enjoy the smoothness, stability and outstanding battery life with your newly installed Codename Lungo Custom ROM