The Motorola Droid RAZR HD is perhaps one of the most popular devices available through Verizon. And not without good reason. The handset sports a 4.7-inch display with a pixel resolution of 1280 x 720. It also comes with an 8 megapixel camera, a 1.5 GHz dual-core CPU, and 1GB of RAM. Plus it has been recently update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. If you’re on Verizon and are looking for a quality handset which runs the current version of Android OS, you can’t go wrong with the Droid RAZR HD.
The sales numbers are not the only indicator towards the popularity of the RAZR HD. Another area where it enjoys cult status is in the Android developer community. And this despite Verizon’s notoriety for locked bootloaders. Ordinarily, devs wouldn’t bother tinkering about finding ways to get through the bootloader unless the device is popular and has a large user base. With a device as popular as this, it would be but natural to expect a constant stream of Custom ROMs from the developer community like we see for other devices like the Samsung Galaxy S3 and HTC’s One series. However, being a Verizon exclusive does come with its quirks. A locked down bootloader and other security lockdowns that Verizon adds to the device for instance, making it a developers nightmare.
In the case of the Droid RAZR HD though, we have multiple utilities available which allow you to unlock the bootloader, root the device and install Safestrap, which is a custom recovery much like Clockworkmod or TWRP, developed specially for Motorola devices.
RemICS is one of the few Custom ROMs available for this awesome device. However, it brings something different to the table. Based on Android 4.1.2, the latest version of Jelly Bean out there in the non-Nexus world, RemICS is themed with a lot of MIUI elements, and even includes some MIUI apps. MIUI is a custom firmware originally developed in China, which is heavily themed and brings a slick, elegant look to your Android device. Some enthusiasts feel that it brings an iOS like look to Android, but there is no mistaking the fact that a device running MIUI definitely draws more eyeballs than those running any other version of Android, custom or otherwise. Here’s a list of key features that RemICS comes with, quoted from the source thread.
- Newest TouchWiz-Launcher
– 4.2 ‘slim’ swipe Keyboard
– MIUI Music player
– S3-feeling UI and sounds
– MIUI File Manager
– MIUI Calculator
– MIUI Desk Clock
– MIUI Notes
– MIUI Sound Recorder
And as always, here’s a detailed step by step guide which will help you install this awesome custom ROM on your Droid RAZR HD
Install RemICS on the Droid RAZR HD
- Installing a Custom ROM involves a data wipe. So be sure to back up all your important data and media from your pone before you flash the ROM.
- You need to have an unlocked bootloader, a rooted device, and last but very important- Safestrap recovery installed on your device. You can use this excellent All-in-One utility which will help you prepare your phone for ROM flashing
- Download the RemICS ROM for the Droid RAZR HD – RemICS – RAZR HD XT925
- Connect your Droid RAZR HD to the computer and transfer the downloaded RemICS ROM zip file to the SDcard on your device
- Now disconnect your RAZR HD and turn it off. We need to boot to Recovery Mode now, To do that Power the phone back on. You will come to a splash screen that states, ‘Press menu for recovery access.’ You have 10 seconds to do that else the phone boots normally. Once you press the menu softkey, it will boot into Recovery
- From the recovery menu, Select Safe System and Turn it on. This will take a few minutes.
- Power the phone off again and reboot to recovery using the same steps as in Step 4.
- Now from the recovery main menu, scroll to Wipe Data and select it. Confirm wipe in the next step.
- Once that’s done, select Wipe Cache from the Recovery main menu, and confirm it in the next step
- Next, select Mounts and Storage from the main menu and then select Format /system.
- Once the System format is complete go back to the main menu and select Advanced, and from the next screen select Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Go back to the main menu and Select Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card. Now scroll down to and select the RemICS ROM zip file you had transferred to the SDcard in Step 3, and confirm the flash on the next screen
- Be patient while the RemICS ROM gets flashed on to your device. After the flash is complete select Go Back > Reboot system now. The first boot post installation of a custom ROM may take a few minutes. So do not panic, as this is normal.
Congratulations!! You are now running the slick and elegantly themed RemICS Custom ROM on your Droid RAZR HD. You can join in on the discussion about this ROM at the original development thread at XDA forums.