The Optimus G is the device based on which the Nexus 4 was designed. You could call it it’s cousin. While it looks different from the Nexus 4 on the outside, it packs pretty much the same hardware under the hood, and then some. As a matter of fact, sans the Nexus branding, some may even go so far as to say that it actually outdoes the Nexus 4 in some aspects like the presence of LTE and a microSD card slot for memory expansion. In the U.S this magnificent device is available exclusively through AT&T and Sprint.
The Optimus G has been an extremely popular device right from the time it was announced, and it is not surprising that it went on to be a best seller as soon as it was launched. Recent phones from LG have been decent, but the Optimus G is in a totally different league altogether, and may well be the device, along with the Nexus 4, which could give LG the push it needs to challenge the supremacy Samsung has in the mobile device space. The AT&T Optimus G features a 4.7 inch WXGA (1280×768 pixels) resolution display, a 1.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, 2 GB of RAM, an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera, a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera, 16GB integrated memory and microSD expansion card slot, a 2,100 mAh battery, and Android 4.0 ICS on board which is upgradable to Jelly Bean.
And since root access and bootloader unlock for this device has been achieved, the developer community has swung into action and has started working on custom ROMs for this lovely handset. One such custom ROM is Slick ROM v6, which has been developed by XDA Senior member nygfan760. The ROM is completely debloated and has been themed and made a lto lighter. Of course, if you still wish to have some of the pre-installed apps that come with the stock firmware, the dev has made it possible to flash these apps as add-on zip files in recovery. A debloated ROM is usually much smoother and more responsive, which is also the case with this one. ANd as always, here’s a step-by-step guide o how you can install Slick Rom on your ATT Optimus G.
Compatibility: This ROM is compatible only with the At&T Optimus G model number E970. Do not try to flash it on any other variant as that may cause damage to your device
Disclaimer: Rooting and flashing a custom ROM will cancel out your warranty. We assume no responsibility for any damage caused to your device whilst flashing this firmware and you would be proceeding at your own risk.
How to Flash Slick Rom v6 on the AT&T Optimus G
- If you haven’t done so already, first Root your AT&T Optimus G and Unlock the bootloader
- Install a custom recovery on your device. This is required to be able to flash custom ROMs. You can use this guide to install TWRP on your device
- Download the latest Slick Rom zip file from the original source thread over at XDA
- Transfer the Slick ROM zip file you just downloaded to your phone memory
- Turn off your device and reboot to TWRP recovery
- First thing to do in recovery before you flash a custom ROM would be to perform a Nandroid backup. This will back up your existing ROM, which you can restore from in the event something goes wrong with the new ROM. To do so, tap the Backup option in TWRP, and then confirm the backup on the next screen
- Next select the Wipe Option, and then tap System on the next screen. Confirm the wipe on the next screen.
- Repeat Step 7, and select Data from the Wipe Menu this time
- Repeat Step 7 and select Cache from the Wipe Menu this time
- Now select Install from the Main menu. This will bring up the contents of your phone memory. Scroll down to the Slick ROM zip file you transferred to the phone in Step 4 and select it. Confirm the flash on the next screen
- Wait for TWRP to flash the new ROM
- Once done, just tap Reboot System to reboot your device.
- Let your phone reboot and give it about 5-10 minutes for the ROM to settle before you start using it.
Enjoy the smoothness and slickness of Slick ROM v6 on your AT&T Optimus G