The Samsung Galaxy Rush is a budget-friendly Android device which is available exclusively on a no-contract basis from Boost Mobile along with a compatible voice and data plan. It is a good alternative for folks who need a functional Android device without having to spend too much money outright, and getting locked down into a contract. The Galaxy Rush features a 320 x 240 TFT display, a 1GHz single core processor, 768MB RAM, a 3 MP main camera as well as a 1.3 MP front-facing camera and comes with Anndroid 4.0 ICS.
Budget devices in the Android ecosystem usually include low to mid-range devices, which are available only through a single carrier, and hence do not really attract as much attention from the developer community as the higher end multi-carrier devices do. As a result, users of such devices are often left out in the cold with no root method or custom ROMs to play with.
Fortunately, it appears that anything that comes out the Samsung stable gets at least some developer attention, as has been the case with the Galaxy Rush. And sure enough, there was a successfully working root method which also gave CWM recovery to this budget handset paving the way for interested devlopers to create custom ROMs for this device, Though there haven’t been too many Custom ROMs as such for this device, we do have one here called Super Stock ICS which is essentially an Android 4.0 ICS Stock ROM modified for the GRush, which also includes a number of tweaks and mods for better performance. All Samsung and Boost bloatware has been stripped off making this ROM a lot lighter than the stock factory firmware. Here’s a step-by-step guide which will help you install the Super Stock ICS ROM on your Galaxy Rush.
Compatibility: This ROM is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Rush M830. Do not try to flash it on any other variant as the results may not be pleasant.
Disclaimer: Rooting and flashing a custom ROM will cancel out your warranty. We assume no responsibility for any damage caused to your device whilst flashing this firmware and you would be proceeding at your own risk.
How to Flash Super Stock ICS on the Samsung Galaxy Rush
- Make a backup of all your personal data, contacts, APN settings etc, as installation of a Custom ROM will involve wiping your device and settings. Stuff on your internal SD card like your photos, videos and music wont be affected
- Download & install the Samsung USB drivers to your PC. Restart PC once after installing drivers.
- You need to have a rooted device with a custom recovery installed to be able to flash this ROM. To Get Root & CWM on your Galaxy Rush – Use this Guide
- Download the Super Stock ICS ROM to your PC from HERE. Connect your phone to the PC and transfer the downloaded ROM zip file to the external SD card your phone
- Now turn off the phone and reboot into recovery by powering it back on while holding down the Volume Up + Power buttons together. While in CWM recovery, use the volume keys to scroll and the Power key to select an option.
- Now, if you didn’t make a Nandroid backup already, then it is always good practice to create one now by selecting the ‘Backup & restore’ option and and then Yes- Backup on the next screen to confirm.
- Next, Select the Wipe Data/Factory reset Option, and then on the next screen, select Yes – Wipe Data to confirm the wipe
- Next select the Wipe Cache Partition option in the Main menu, and confirm the cache wipe on the next screen.
- Now scroll down to Install zip from SD card and select it using the Power button
- Then select Choose zip from SD card on the next screen. This should bring up the contents of your SD card. Scroll down to the Super Stock ICS ROM zip file that you transferred to the phone in Step 4, and select it. Confirm installation on the next screen.
- Wait for CWM to finish installing the ROM. Then select Go Back and then Reboot System now to reboot your phone back into Android
Congratulations! You are now running the Super Stock ICS ROM on your Galaxy Rush. Enjoy your debloated and smoother device 🙂