Usually here at Android Junkies we only support ROMs which are based on the Android OS. However, there are times (such as this) when for a novelty of sorts, we present a port of an OS that isn’t Android but can be flashed to an Android device. The port we are talking about is the newly released nightly build of the Firefox OS for the Nexus 5. Teased about almost a year ago, the Firefox OS just vanished into obscurity as nobody really paid much attention to it, however it is definitely there and does offer quite a unique UI and features.
Since this is after all a nightly build, there are a few bugs which are yet to be ironed out, these include a nonfunctioning camera preview and lack of WPA2-Enterprise support. Apart from that, it’s pretty much a highly functional ROM that can be used for all daily purposes. So if you’re a Nexus 5 owner, who is looking for something new and exciting to try out, just follow our guide to flash in the Firefox OS to your device.
Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for any damages that might occur either during or after the process. Proceed at your own risk.
Prerequisites: You will require Android SDK (namely fastboot binaries) installed on your computer along with an unlocked bootloader (if by chance you don’t have an unlocked bootloader, just follow the simple extra step in the guide below). Also, flashing in this ROM will wipe off everything in your device so remember to make a backup of all data.
- Download the .zip file from here and extract it to the folder containing the fastboot binary.
- Boot into your phone’s fastboot mode by restarting it while holding the power + vol. down key and then connecting it to your computer after selecting fastboot from the bootloader menu.
- Open a CMD window in the folder containing the fastboot binary
- If you don’t have an unlocked bootloader type: “fastboot oem unlock”
- Type the following commands: “fastboot flash boot boot.img”
- “fastboot flash cache cache.img”
- “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”
- “fastboot flash system system.img”
- “fastboot flash userdata userdata.img”
- If you want to relock your bootloader just type: “fastboot oem lock”
- That’s about it, you will now have Firefox OS installed on your device
For updates check: XDA Developers Forum Link