The process for installing a custom recovery differs from phone to phone and while the whole thing is relatively straight forward in Samsung and HTC devices, it’s a whole different ball game when it comes to Sony devices. This is why most Sony owners often avoid getting a custom recovery and stick to the stock ROM. However, if you like to live dangerously and don’t mind doing a bit of soft unbricking if things do go awry, we have the perfect guide for you on how to install a custom recovery on Xperia Z series.
Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for any damages that might be done to your device either during or after the process, please proceed at your own risk.
Prerequisites: You will be required to have
- Either a Rooted phone or one which has an unlocked bootloader (since unlocking the bootloader of Xperia series often causes problems, we recommend simply rooting your phone and will deal exclusively with rooted phones, this will NOT work on unrooted device with unlocked bootloaders)
- USB debugging and mock locations enabled on your phone
- Adb & Fastboot set up and installed on your computer
- Download the Installer.zip package for your Xperia phone from here
- Extract the file and connect your phone to the computer
- Run the Install.bat script from the Installer folder you just extracted
- Select the appropriate option, for most Xperia devices it would be the first option as almost all of them have been upgraded to Lollipop
- Sit back and just watch the script install the dual recoveries on your phone
- Once installed, you can boot into either TWRP or CWM by simply holding volume up or down while the phone is rebooting.
That’s it, you have successfully installed dual custom recovery on Xperia device of your choice with ease. If you for some reason brick your phone, just follow our guide here to unbrick it.