The Optimus G is the device based on which the Nexus 4 was designed. You could call it it’s cousin. While it looks different from the Nexus 4 on the outside, it packs pretty much the same hardware under the hood, and then some. As a matter of fact, sans the Nexus branding, some may even go so far as to say that it actually outdoes the Nexus 4 in some aspects like the presence of LTE and a microSD card slot for memory expansion.
The Optimus G has been an extremely popular device right from the time it was announced, and it is not surprising that it went on to be a best seller as soon as it was launched. Recent phones from LG have been decent, but the Optimus G is in a totally different league altogether, and may well be the device, along with the Nexus 4, which could give LG the push it needs to challenge the supremacy Samsung has in the mobile device space.
If you have gotten yourself one of these beauties and have already gone ahead and rooted it so that you could run all those nifty Root apps, you may want to also try out some custom ROMs, of which there are several different ones that are available and new ones getting added each day. However, if you want to play with Custom ROMs, just having a rooted device is not enough. You also need to have what i called a Custom Recovery, which is what is used to flash these ROMs on to your device. And to make things easy for our readers, we have compiled a step by step guide which will help you install one of the most popular and versatile custom recoveries available – TWRP on your device. Read on to know how.
Keep in mind that you do need to have a bootloader unlocked and rooted device, If you haven’t treaded that path yet, use the links below to prepare you device for the good times ahead 🙂
Install TWRP Recovery on the LG Optimus G
- Download the TWRP image for your device from the official TeamWin site – Sprint Optimus G | AT&T Optimus G. Rename the downloaded file to twrprecovery.img
- Download Fastboot. We would be using fastboot to flash the recovery image to your device. Extract the zip file to your desktop.
- Transfer the twrprecovery.img file from Step 1 to the Fastboot folder
- On your phone, go to Settings > Developer Options and Turn on USB Debugging
- Now turn off your phone and reboot to bootloader mode by holding down Vol Down + Power till the boot screen comes on. You should now be in bootloader mode
- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable and wait for Windows to configure the drivers
- Now open the Fastboot folder on your desktop, and while holding the Shift key down on your keyboard, Right click anywhere in the folder. Then select Open Command window here from the right click menu
- Type in the following command carefully at the prompt, and hit Enter
fastboot flash recovery twrprecovery.img
- Fastboot will now start flashing the TWRP image on to your LGOG. You will be able to see the progress in the DOS window.
- Once done type in the following command and hit enter, to reboot your phone
- Congratulations!! You now have the fully touch-based TWRP custom recovery installed on your Optimus G. Take you pick from a huge selection of Custom ROMs available for your device. 🙂