The great thing about owning any Android device is the fact that you can easily modify the said device and make improvements. While often some methods are complicated, they however do get the job done. Even with devices like Google Chromecast, you can easily modify it by using programs like flashCast by following the simple guide given below.
Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for any damages done to your device either during or after the process so proceed at your own risk.
Prerequisites: You will require a Chromecast with an unlocked bootloader, a USB drive (minimum size of 128 MB) which you don’t mind flashing, a disk imager (depending on your OS for windows use Win32 Disk Imager and for Linus/Mac you can use dd). You will also need a Micro-USB OTG such as this one.
- Download flashCast’s .zip file from here and extract it.
- Now by using dd or Win32 Disk Imager flash the .bin file (which was in the flashCast.zip folder) to your USB drive. Simply dragging or copy pasting the .bin file won’t work.
- Your computer will stop recognizing the file system on your USB device. Please don’t worry as this is normal and expected to happen.
- Now connect your male part of the USB OTG cable to Chromecast and plug your USB in the USB-A connecter of the OTG.
- While holding the button on your Chromecast, connect the Micro-USB power connector to the female Micro-USB port of the OTG cable. Do remember to connect the power last else Chromecast might fail to recognize the attached USB. If that happens simple repeat the whole procedure again.
- If flashCast was copied correctly, you will see a red light on your Chromecast which will remain lit for 9 seconds after which your TV will display the flashCast Logo and various instructions.
- Let go of the button at this point.
- After 9 seconds or so the Chromecast will restart and boot into its own stock recovery and you’re ready to use flashCast to mod your device.
- Do remember that your Chromecast is not rooted and you will require to root it by flashing in a mod.
- You can flash a mod by simply downloading its .zip file and copying it to your USB drive with the name eureka_image.zip.