Those of us who do own the original Samsung Galaxy Gear, were sure in for a surprise when Samsung decided to swap out Android with Tizen in their latest update. For most this was really unnecessary but I guess there was nothing we could do. Now, we do have some good news for Gear users as thanks to the efforts of Jijonhyuni (Member, XDA Developers) we can achieve root privileges on the Tizen running smart watch. Of course, there’s not much we can really do at the moment with a rooted Tizen Gear except for perhaps shut off the shutter sound of the camera. In any case, if you’re interested in getting a rooted Galaxy Gear just follow the guide below.
Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for any damages that might be done to your device either during or after the process, proceed at your own risk.
Prerequisites: You will require Odin installed on your computer
- Download the file you will need to flash from here
- Put your Gear in download mode by pressing and holding the home button
- The watch will display the “Power Off / Restart” screen, keep holding
- Once the watch displays “rebooting”, release the home button and then start pressing it 3 or four times
- You will then go into the recovery screen where you can select continue.
- Now start Odin, click AP and browse to the location where you downloaded the file to.
- Once done, check if nothing additional is checked (also ensure that repartition is not checked)
- Start and wait for the package to be flashed to your Galaxy Gear.
That’s it, you will now have root privileges on your device but do remember that up till now we have no idea what to do with the root except for shutting off the shutter sound, if you want to do that just follow our guide over here.