The Motorola Electrify M, available through U.S Cellular is similar to Verizon’s DROID RAZR M. It features a crisp and bright 4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD display (960 x 540) , a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz with 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, and an 8MP rear camera with a 0.3MP VGA-quality front-facing camera. It is also 4G LTE enabled for access to faster speeds if they’re available in your area, which is still only a few select places in the US if you’re a US Cellular customer. The Electrify M runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box, and has been officially updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean in February this year.
If you happen to have lost root after applying the Jelly Bean update, and are now looking for a safe and easy way to regain root access, you are in just the right place. Here’s a detailed step by step guide which will take you through the process of rooting the Motorola Electrify M on Jelly bean. The process involves flashing TWRP recovery first and then flashing the SuperSU package through recovery to gain root.
How to Root the Motorola Electrify M
- Download and install the Motorola USB drivers
- To be able to flash a custom recovery, you need to first unlock you device bootloader. You can do so by visiting the official Moto Bootloader Unlock Page
- Download Fastboot. Extract the zip file to your C: drive
- Download the custom recovery image. Transfer it to the Fastboot folder on you C drive
- Download the SuperSU zip file and transfer it to the internal SD card on your phone
- Power off your phone and reboot to Fastboot Mode.
- To do so, simply hold down all three buttons on your device for a few seconds
- Select Fastboot option from the options available on your screen.
- Now connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
- Open the Fastboot folder and open a command window at that location ( Shift + Right Click > Open Command Window here)
- Type in the following command at the prompt
fastboot flash recovery cw-recovery.img
- Once the flashing is complete, type in the following command next to reboot your device
- Once your device has booted back up, enable USB debugging and connect it to your PC again
- Type in the following command
adb reboot recovery
- In recovery, scroll down to Install zip from SD card and select it. Next select Choose zip from SD card
- Select the SU-Busybox-Installer.zip file you copied over in Step 5
- Wait for recovery to flash the root package
- Once done, reboot your device
That’s it. Your Jelly Beaned Electrify M is now rooted. Enjoy your rooted device 🙂