A brick is technical term used to describe the status of a device when it ends up with no software. The issue can be caused by a number of things and which is why it is further subdivided into two parts: Hard Bricks and Soft Bricks. Hard bricked devices are those which are simply dead. These devices don’t turn on, no matter what conventional method you use and quite frankly can’t really be helped to revive via a computer. If you do have a hard bricked device, we strongly recommend that you take it to a technical lab. A softbricked device on the other hand is a phone that turns on and just doesn’t boot to the homepage. It is either stuck in a bootloop or at a particular error message. These devices can be fixed, however most of the time that does involve re-flashing the original software, which means a full data wipe of your phone.
So, if you own a soft-bricked Samsung device, today is your lucky day as we will try to teach you how to push new life into it.
Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for any further damages this process may cause to your device.
Prerequisites: You will require to go to Sam Mobile’s official website, register for an account and then search for your device’s official firmware in their firmware section. Please remember to download the latest version of the firmware as Samsung has made it somewhat impossible to downgrade from Android 5.1.1. You will also need to have your device’s latest USB drivers (click here) to be installed on your computer.
- Download the latest version of Odin from here
- Extract the firmware folder you downloaded, if it contains more than one files, remember you will only need the PDA file. The rest should be left alone!
- Connect your device to the computer in download mode. This can be done by pressing and holding Power + Vol. Down + Home keys and then pressing volume up on the subsequent screen that pops up and then connecting the device.
- Open Odin, a light blue bar in the top left corner with the words COM indicate that your device has been recognized.
- Click PDA and choose the file you downloaded.
- Make sure that nothing but the F.Reset and Auto Reboot options are checked and click start.
- Wait for the software to be flashed to your device and breathe a sigh of relief.