Usually HTC provides quite an easy and elaborate guide to unlock their device’s bootloader. However, these instructions usually aren’t very clear to most users and have them install quite a lot of unnecessary programs, which can be avoided altogether. That is why today we will be teaching you how to unlock your HTC phone’s bootloader in the fastest and easiest way possible.
Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for any damages that might be done to your device either during or after the process. The process itself is safe and will only result in a data wipe on your device.
Prerequisites: You will need to set up Minimal ADB & Fastboot (if you don’t know how, click here) as well as an account on HTCDev.
- Go to HTC Dev and open Unlock Bootloader option after logging into your account
- Once there, simply select your device from the list and click OK to the warnings which basically tell you that your warranty would be voided and any data on the internal memory of the device will be wiped.
- If your device needs a RUU update, the webpage will inform you. If that is the case, simply select the one according to your ROM version and run it like you would any other program.
- If not, open ADB binaries and type: “adb reboot bootloader” or if you’re using HTC M9 type: “adb reboot download”
- Once there, type: “fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Copy the token and paste it on the provided space (which is on the second page of the unlock bootloader section) and paste it there to submit it.
- Once submitted, a file will be mailed to the e-mail ID you registered on the website.
- Open the ID, download the file and place it in the folder containing ADB binaries or alternatively, you can drag and drop the file in the CMD window after typing the necessary command.
- Type: “fastboot flash unlock_token unlock_code.bin” (alternatively, you can drag and drop the file in the window instead of writing unlock_code.bin.
- Now, look on your phone screen, and highlight YES by using the volume keys. Once highlighted, press the power key and the bootloader will be unlocked.